Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ashland's Mixed Message

 Another letter to the Editor after a hair raising near miss in Ashland, I thought i was done with those in India. But amazingly enough, the roads here seem almost more dangerous. In the USA the rules of the road are supposed to keep people in line, yet they deaden many peoples senses to the world around them (not to mention the amazing amount of tasks we juggle in the car). In India the rules are simple, the bigger the vehicle the higher up one is on the food chain, and remember to never drop your guard!


I use my bicycle for transportation and joy. I’m out on the roads very often and there are a couple of things I’d like to share with all of the people who use the big metal box on four wheels.
Bikes, under Oregon law must follow the rules of the road just like cars. This means that when you have the right of way at a stop sign; please, instead of showing your kindness for your two wheeled friends and letting us go first, just go. As a biker, everyday a car will stop and wait for me to come to the crossing and then wave me through. Thank you, but no thanks. You, my friends, are using fossil fuels for your transportation, I would much rather that you keep on going, following the rules of the road, and saving the energy. I’m capable of stopping and getting myself across the intersection after you’ve passed.
Inside of cars people seem to have found a way to do just about everything, I’ve seen it all, you’d be amazed at the visibility from a bike. But please remember that we bikers are outside and often on your right. Bike lanes have given a place for us to ride, but before making the right hand turn, check for bikers in your rearview mirror and in your blind spots. Yesterday I was almost hit by someone turning off of Siskiyou Boulevard. I have been hit twice in similar situations.
Please be aware of bikes on the road and bike lanes, we don’t want to get hit. Biking is so much fun, and great exercise. Ashland is small and bike friendly, there isn’t much better in coming to a crossing and meeting all bikers and no cars. Spring is just around the corner, please be aware of the increasing number of bikers on the road and don’t be afraid to join us! See you on two wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment